Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 33 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  GENERAL FORUM (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie, Makini, Zaynab)
| | |-+  white males and African women during slavery
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: white males and African women during slavery  (Read 8475 times)
Amanda

« on: November 26, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »

During slavery, African women were not only considered slaves and the white man's property, but they were also viewed as sexual objects by those said white males who have been described as "rational" beings in Edward Said's book Orientalism. However, i have often wondered why those white males and i know that there were intermixing with both white females and African men as well but here im focusing on the males in particular, had sex with African women if they were seen as inferior, less than human, made fun of, referred to by a number of derogatory terms and were considered to be a disgrace to society. In addition, some of these women were raped despite of how they were viewed and im uncertain as to why these white males would force themselves on those women if they viewed them in such a negative manner. I would think the opposite would have occurred whereby, those males would have refrained from even touching these women, so my question is, was it a matter of power domination and control? or is there a bigger picture that im not getting?   
Iniko Ujaama
InikoUjaama

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 04:33:58 PM »

Why do you think that simply because they adopted the notion (whether believed or not) that Africans were inferior that they would not be sexually drawn to the African females? People do not need to see the other person as their equal or even like them to have sex with them.
Indeed their ability to dominate the Africans on the plantation allowed them to take advantage of the African females sexually.

Something else which comes to mind is the fact that sexuality was projected onto the African female to preserve the notion of purity for the white female. Her attractiveness was primarily associated with her sexual availability. Everything sexual that the Europeans did not feel comfortable associating with in polite society was projected onto the Africans.
Amanda

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 04:29:50 AM »

Iniko Ujaama

I think the Europeans were drawn to African women and at no point and time did i think otherwise. I was merely trying to make a point. I found it ironic that a group of persons would go to such lengths which included rape, with another group whom they despised greatly. Those behaviors exhibited by the Europeans were in direct opposition to their beliefs and like i mentioned previously, they were the most "rational" social group however, their actions were a contrast to that belief. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts especially that last statement regarding "sexuality being projected onto the African Female to preserve the notion of purity for the white females," i was unaware of this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: