Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:34:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 28 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Rastafari (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  was ras tafari an oromo man?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: was ras tafari an oromo man?  (Read 23709 times)
0romo

« on: November 25, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »

hey peeps Two Thumbs am new to this whole thing but i wanted to ask was ras tafari an oromo from ethiopia? thats what my old man said End Furious 3
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 07:58:30 AM »

To my knowledge, Ras Tafari Makonnen, Kedamawe Haile Selassie I, is Amhara. Not saying H.I.M. might not also have Oromo blood, I do not know. Empress Menen is either partially or completely of Oromo descent. Others may be able to clarify further.
afrikanrebel06

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:28:48 PM »

Grin lol@GMAN, AND OTHERS, UR BEST SOURCE IS TO ASK ETHIOPIANS DEMSELVES, AS I HAVE ENUMEROUSLY ASKED, I HAVE MET PEOPLE WHO TEACHS AFRIKAN HISTORY AT UNIVERSITY OF ADIS, IN TORONTO, SELLASSIE PERSSECUTED THE OROMO PEOPLE, SELLASSIE WAS SEMITIC,HALF ARAB,THE OROMO,( WHICH I KNOW PLENTY IN CANADA) ARE DARKER IN COMPLEXION JUST LIKE SOUTHERN SUDANESE
OF KUSHITE AND PHARAONIC LINEAGE,MY ADVICE IS ASK THE SOURCE,WHICH ARE ETHIOPIANS DEMSELVES
PEOPLE WHO LIVES THERE AND KNOWS THE HISTORY, AS I WAS TOLD BY ONE FRIEND OF MINE,THAT IS ETHIOPIAN JEW( ORIGINAL ONE,FALASHA) PEOPLE LIKES MAKING THINGS UP... SHE TOLD ME EMPRESS MENEM WAS VERY LIGHT IN COMPLEXION, SO SHE WAS MIXED WITH EITHER ARAB SOME WHERE, THE OROMO ARE VERY DARK IN COMPLEXION.
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 01:30:05 PM »

Many Amhara are also dark-skinned. It is true that all the Oromo people I've met have been dark-skinned and Amhara people are a mixture of lighter and darker-skinned. I was hanging out with Amhara, Oromo and other Ethiopians when they were UNITED protesting against Meles Zenawi at the G20 summit at the Excel centre in London. They were in their separate groups but they mingled with one another, seemed friendly enough to one another, and were speaking with one voice against the repressive regime of Meles Zenawi.
There are many perspectives on what went on in Ethiopia during H.I.M. Haile Selassie I's reign. Certainly there were Oromos and others who felt marginalised and discriminated against. However it is important to remember that H.I.M. Haile Selassie I did not create the imperial system of Abyssinia, he inherited it, and actually did more to change and reform it than any monarch before H.I.M. had. The viewpoints of Oromo people (and others) who felt discriminated against are still valid. I'll say no more for a while and see if some Ethiopians want to contribute reasonings, whether they are Amhara, Oromo or one of the many other ethnic groups of Ethiopia.
afrikanrebel06

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:02:33 AM »

@gman, i can agree with u on dat, my friend in calgary,his father teachs afrikan history in university of adis and also knows about melanin and its component, oromo speaks more close to sudanic languages or that is pharaonic, they trace their roots to king tut,which southern sudanese call,the noer calls victoeious bull, i have met people whose family were persecuted under Sellassie, the darker ethiopians are closer to the sudanic
side, bear in mind,that sudan,ethiopia,egypt,morroco,algeria were all one place 500 000 years ago BCE,NOT ALL ETHIPIOANS CLAIM HIM AS A NATIONAL HERO,THATS FACT, and they told me dat demselves.
malcolmquartey

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:01:01 PM »

Here's the answer:

Haile Selassie I was of a mixed Oromo and Gurage descent through his mother (Yeshimebet Ali), and mixed Oromo and Amhara descent through his father (Ras Makonnen). Furthermore, Empress Menen Asfaw, Haile Selassie's wife was in large part of Oromo descent as well...

Peace
Ras Arshanapul

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »

Here's the answer:

Haile Selassie I was of a mixed Oromo and Gurage descent through his mother (Yeshimebet Ali), and mixed Oromo and Amhara descent through his father (Ras Makonnen). Furthermore, Empress Menen Asfaw, Haile Selassie's wife was in large part of Oromo descent as well...

Peace

That is correct.  He was given the name Haille which means power of the Trinity because he was King, Preist, and Prophet and he was ALL three bloodlines of the Ethiopian people Oromo,Gurage, and Amhara.
Se'lah Sellassie I JAH Ras Tafar I!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: