Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Health and Livity (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  medication
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: medication  (Read 41743 times)
chinyre

Roots

« on: September 17, 2004, 08:07:59 PM »

hi guys im new on this board.

i have a question. whats a good alternative pain reliever for migranes. i dont like using ibuprofen or any of that. any suggestions? thanks
Abena
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 03:58:48 PM »

I always used ginger root tea or drank the Jamacian Ginger Beer you could make this on your own. Also for the nusea asscoiated w/ the migraine I drank cammomile tea
chinyre

Roots

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 02:32:34 PM »

thanks Smiley
wezekana

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 02:05:56 AM »

Ginkgo biloba dialates the capillaries and allows more oxygen to flow to the brain, often relieving some headache types. Feverfew is known to help with people with recurrent migraines. However, I am reserved about the use of either. They leave a kind of haze or daze on me.
A sniff of Lavender, Lavender oil, Orange peel or oil, Alyssum or some other fragrant flower helps also (aroma therapy). Women with recurrent headaches might want to look into their blood iron levels (anemia). If the headaches are frequent and associated with menstruation, additional dietary iron made be what's needed. Blackstrap Molasses is great in this area. Loaded with iron.
Muscular rigidity of the face, scalp and neck or eye strain can be a factor for both men and women. A nice cut, scratch, wound healing, skin softening, muscle relaxing oil can be made from Olive Oil, Rosemary (tenderizer, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic), Peppermint, Spearmint, Pennyroyal... any of the mint family (pain reliever, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic), Cloves (pain reliever, anti-bacterial), Comfrey (anti-inflammatory), Anica flowers (Anti-inflammatory, promotes healing and softening of the skin), Calendula flowers (anti-inflammatory, promotes healing and softening of the skin) and Chamomile flowers (Anti-bacterial, promotes healing and softening of the skin).
Put a pinch or three of each ingredient in a dark glass with a lid and cover it with oil. Close him up and let him sit for about six hours or so. A good neck and forehead rub with this oil, or on any exerted muscle, will do you nicely. Just putting on the mixed oil alone will relax you immersely.

Warning : Do not use essential oils on or near mucus membranes. The can be fatal if ingested.
empressiternal

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:19:13 AM »

Greetings in the Name of the Most High Jah Rastafari
Blessed Love Brotha Wezakana, does the I know any thing about Glyconutriments InI have been informed that they are issential for the body to repair the damage caused by food that the body cannot deal with . and  one next one called Meridina? any info would be ippreciated
Love and Raspect
Empress I 
wezekana

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 01:31:13 PM »

I apologize Sistren, I have no knowledge of Glyconutriments nor Meridina, although I researched both on-line and found some interesting similarities between the name of the former and in the chemical structure of the latter. Some of what I found can be perused at the following sites, at you leisure Queen Mother. This is Microbiology is it not?

Halomonas meridiana; bacteria isolated from Burch lake, Antarctica.

MEDIUM 110 - for Halomonas meridiana
Recipe
: Sodium chloride 30.00 g (Prolabo 27 810.295) ; Magnesium chloride hexahydrate 5.00 g (Prolabo 25 108.295) ; Magnesium sulphate heptahydrate 9.50 g (Merck 1.05886) ; Potassium chloride 5.00 g (Prolabo 26.764) ; Calcium chloride dihydrate 0.20 g (Prolabo 22 317.297) ; Ammonium sulphate 0.10 g (Merck 1211) ; Potassium nitrate 0.10 g (Prolabo 26 869.234) ; Peptone 5.00 g (Becton Dickinson 211677) ; Yeast extract 1.00 g (Becton Dickinson 212750) ; Agar 15.00 g (Becton Dickinson 214010) ; Distilled water make up to 960.00 ml ; Solution 2 - M0404 M0428 M0626* 20.16 ml ; Solution 3 - M0404 M0428** 20.16 ml ; Solution 4 - M0404 M0428*** 0.96 ml ; *Solution 2 - M0404 M0428 M0626 ; Distilled water make up to 950.00 ml ; Magnesium sulphate heptahydrate 29.70 g (Merck 1.05886) ; Calcium chloride dihydrate 3.30 g (Prolabo 22 317.297) ; Nitrilotriacetic acid 10.00 g (Sigma N-9877) ; Sodium molybdate dihydrate 12.70 mg (Merck 6521) ; Iron (III) sulphate 99.00 mg (Prolabo 24 252.296) ; **Solution 3 - M0404 M0428 ; Distilled water make up to 1000.00 ml ; Potassium di-hydrogen phosphate 2.50 g (Labosi P1400) ; Di Potassium monohydrogenophosphate 2.50 g (Merck 5101) ; ***Solution 4 - M0404 M0428 ; Distilled water make up to 1000.00 ml ; Calcium D(+)- pantothenate 5.00 mg (BDH 440744Y) ; Folic acid 2.00 mg (Prolabo 20 465.125) ; Pyridixal hydrochloride (vit B6) 10.00 mg (BDH 440865Q) ; Cyanocobalamin (Vit.B12) 0.10 mg (Calbiochem 6791) ; Biotin 2.00 mg (Merck 1.24514) ; Thiamine hydrochloride 5.00 mg (Calbiochem 5871) ; Riboflavin (vit B2) 5.00 mg (Sigma R-4500) ; nicotinamide 5.00 mg (vwr 481907.100) ;

CABRI
Common Access to Biological Resources and Information
http://www.cabri.org/CABRI/srs-bin/wgetz?-id+2bN5g1WCG7n+[cip_bact_media-Medium:110]+-e

and

http://www.cabri.org/HyperCat/bact/all54497.htm

The {alpha}-amylase gene amyH of the moderate halophile Halomonas meridiana: cloning and molecular characterization

INTRODUCTION

Moderately halophilic bacteria are micro-organisms which grow optimally in media containing 3–15% NaCl (Ventosa et al., 1998Down ). They constitute a complex group of micro-organisms adapted to thrive in hypersaline environments. Apart from their ecological importance, moderately halophilic bacteria have great potential for use in biotechnology. They accumulate high cytoplasmic concentrations of compatible solutes that may be used as osmoprotectants and stabilizers of enzymes and cells (Galinski, 1993Down ), and some of them are used for the degradation of polluting industrial residues or toxic chemicals and for enhanced oil-recovery processes (Ventosa & Nieto, 1995Down ; Ventosa et al., 1998Down ). Moreover, moderately halophilic bacteria produce extracellular salt-tolerant enzymes of great interest for biotechnological processes (Onishi et al., 1991Down ; Ventosa et al., 1998Down ). Among these enzymes, amylases, which catalyse the cleavage of the {alpha}-1,4 linkage of starch, yielding short linear maltodextrins, have many commercial applications, particularly in the food and detergent industries. The use of amylases from halophilic bacteria in industrial processes would have the advantage of the enzymes having optimal activities at high salt concentrations (Kamekura, 1986Down ; Ventosa & Nieto, 1995Down ).

While there have been numerous reports on extracellular amylases from non-halophilic bacteria, very limited information is available on amylases from halophilic species. Amylolytic activities have been reported in the moderately halophilic bacteria Acinetobacter sp. (Onishi & Hidaka, 1978Down ), Nesterenkonia halobia (Onishi, 1972bDown ; Onishi & Sonoda, 1979Down ), ‘Micrococcus varians subsp. halophilus’ (Kobayashi et al., 1986Down ), and other Micrococcus isolates (Khire, 1994Down ; Onishi, 1972aDown ). However, molecular characterization of these amylases is lacking. Apart from their biotechnological interest, the characterization of genes encoding amylase activity will be invaluable in elucidating their regulatory and secretion mechanisms, and the structure-function relationship of extracellular enzymes with optimal activity at high salt concentrations.

http://mic.sgmjournals.org/cgi/content/full/146/4/861

After much more searching I found this...

Conclusion

The harsh conditions in Antarctic hypersaline lakes and the
consequent reduced species diversity make immunofluorescent
techniques particularly useful for characterizing species
composition. Total bacterial counts, DOC and pH remained
relatively constant throughout the aerobicwaters, all decreasing
slightly over the season. Changes in species composition as
indicated by immunofluorescent counts were not reflected in the
total bacterial count, indicating compositional change of the
bacterial population. Temperature, light and salinity changed
with depth, season and lake. As reported by previous workers
(Burke & Burton 1988a, Garrick & Gibson 1988, Hirsch &
Siebert 1991) and noted by the authors, the warming and
dilution of aerobic lake waters associated with the Antarctic
summer were generally correlated with changes in bacterial
species composition. The H. meridiana, H. subglaciescola and
F. gondwanense serogroups were in very high proportions and
discrete populations in aerobic waters amongst the summer
biota of Organic and Ekho lakes.
The four groups of Antarctic bacteria, able to grow on a wide
variety of substrates and over a large range of temperature and
salinity, were opportunistically growing in the sub-optimum
conditions associated with early summer in Organic and Ekho
lakes. The seasonality and discretelocationsof these populations
is now the subject of study using species specific fluorescent 16s
RNA probes.

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FANS%2FANS6_03%2FS0954102094000490a.pdf&code=3f9676bf88c7c07050aadfcbedad50cd

....but was not allowed to return to the page. Information you secure there should probably be stored, retained, copied or downloaded the first time you visit the page. The studies seem to express an interest in the bacteria's ability to produce a 'maltodextrin' or sugar that assists cellular viability despite extremely adverse environmental conditions. So, I can see why they might be beneficial in protecting the inner functioning of the human being. There is also a frog that secretes a glucosamine slime that allows it to be totally frozen and then thawed out without cellular damage. The studies also indicate an enhanced capacity for toxic chemical elimination with these substances.

I'm going to to research some herbs and Ital yoods that might accomplish the same purpose. Carminative herbs like Cardamom, Chamomile, Caraway, Dill, Fennel, Lemon balm (Melissa) and Peppermint and Licorice soothe an upset stomach and relax the bowels. Psyllium Seed (Plantago/Soldier Herb), and Gentian are great for irregularity, irrritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease and intestinal health, but this is not exactly what your were asking about. I personally refrain from modified yood-stuffs and processed anything. I still believe these sciences to be incomplete. Isolation of the chemical constituents of plant derived medicines, their relation to other unknown chemicals contained within the plant and their overall effect on the human body is not known in well enough detail for me to rest comfortably with western pharmacology. More information soon to come.

Love and Respect to All.
empressiternal

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 03:24:15 PM »

Greetings in The Name of The Most High Jah RasTafari.
Give Thanks Iyah. InI do try and avoid processed foods and InI am trying to leave the Milk alone. But I guess a fi me weakness which is no excuse. But I heard that the glyconutriments were great for optimim repair fi di body.Its new to I and not so easy to track down inna di natural health shops.So any certain information is limited or what I have found abit outta mi realm of overstanding.So give thanks Iyah InI have a fuller overstanding now.
Love and Raspect
Empress I
wezekana

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 08:22:35 PM »

Nothing is outside your realm of overstanding, Sistren. I, also, am your eyes and ears. I reside in this abode only to be of service. Also, I have seed and seedlings of and access to many beneficial plants that I would not mind at all securing, boxing and sending. Ask anything.
empressiternal

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 03:28:49 PM »

Give thanks Wezekana, InI have been slightly unda pressure time wise with the Mission of Mercy and Havent been able to touch base for a few days, Is there any natural herbs good for slowing down the metabolism I have a an over active metabolism can eat and eat and cant put on weight, InI is a vegatarian and InI dont like to deal with "Doctor" lol Ital is I ting. Let I know what you have its purchase and price and we WILL deal it is so hard trying to get any kind of healing hebs in this country just the usual rosemary thyme basil ect but not the healing herbs that I need.So please let I know  InI grateful fi yuh time and Overstanding
Love and Raspect
Empress I
wezekana

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 02:34:38 PM »

I apologize, Sistren. I know of no herbs that decrease the rate of the human body's metabolism. The speedy metabolism of the vegetarian is a blessing. Its ability to perform more effective biological tasks being directly due to the consumption of the proper yood-stuffs. Don't change this. InI would further say, the body was made perfect in it's mold and stature. Whatever it's countenance, it was ordained. Don't change too much. Swim, run, climb, dance, laugh, move... for a tone and fit body. Add a good helping of protein rich beans (any kind) and starchy plants (potatoes, yams, etc.) to feed muscles. A more constant diet of either of these often increases body mass. Exercise also increases muscle mass, but, the bigger the muscle the more calories it burns. The more exercise one participates in, the more calories on must consume. However, lack of exercise will atrophy (deteriorate) muscles.
empressiternal

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 10:21:26 AM »

Give Thanks Brotha, InI is grateful fi InI slim build but I  do eat a lot of potatoes/yams/green bananas/ect and I guess InI is just worried that I have become too slim to the point I feel good but look malnourished fi want of a betta word. Iv gone from 9stone 4 to 7 stone 2  I am 5 ft 7 , I am very active through work and being a mom, may be worrying over it is making the problem seem worse than wot it really is. InI give thanks fi the "new" thoughts the I has stirred up inna InI head.
Empress I
wezekana

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 02:11:34 PM »

If you are in need of any herbs, Mother-Sister, please let me know. As I live, I-Jah has only put I here to be of service. It is I blessing to be of assistance in any wise, if at all possible. Also, I am somewhat familiar with the medicinal uses of many plants and herbs. If any I suffers from an ailment there may be an herbal remedy. Praise Ye Jah! Please allow I to assist.

Wezekana@yahoo.com
Makini
Makini

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 09:54:32 PM »

Hi empressiternal,

this post...

'Greetings in The Name of The Most High Jah RasTafari.
Give Thanks Iyah. InI do try and avoid processed foods and InI am trying to leave the Milk alone. But I guess a fi me weakness which is no excuse. But I heard that the glyconutriments were great for optimim repair fi di body.Its new to I and not so easy to track down inna di natural health shops.So any certain information is limited or what I have found abit outta mi realm of overstanding.So give thanks Iyah InI have a fuller overstanding now.
Love and Raspect
Empress I'

I figure what you talking about is glucosamine. Although in the scientific world, glu and gly are different. I am taking it now and it is primarily for your cartilage. Like the general populus I trying to avoid this and that and the other but resolve to make the exception because it was recommended by 3 active ppl for knee inflammation I have (and then when I was going to the pharmacy... Grin not natural health shop to enquery on it, the company truck with the sign was parked smack bam in front the entrance) and being a sporty type, I made a double concession.

You can ask for that and I am sure it will lead you to some familiar information. It is mainly for ppl with arthritis, osteoporosis, but it is recommended depending on your circumstance you take a course for 1-3 months just to build up your cartilage if you have some damage. And then depending on the brand they add calcium, cod liver oils etc for whatever added benefit. Note, it is basically an amino sugar, so reducing sugary/refined stuff in conjunction with it is a good idea. Bones strictly would be something else.

I am on my last capsule of 30 for this,
http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/alternative_medicines/medicines/s/seven%20seas/jointcare_products.htm
it had no side effects for me so far, except one day one of the soft capsules burst and the cod liver additive this one has came up, I was upset for the next hour with that taste!

-M-

wezekana

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 12:28:38 PM »

Herbs and Yoods for Arthritis, Bursitis and Tendinitis

Stinging Nettle - Urtication (a technique known to be at least 2000 years old) is the swatting of arthritic joints with the herb to reduce inflammation and provide pain relief. Arthritic swellings are reported to subside within minutes of administering the technique. Some claim it to be only distraction as the process is, in itself, said to be somewhat painfull. However, on every continent where this silicon-rich herb is known it is used for arthritic remedy. Although necessarily handled delicately and with gloves when fresh, the herb loses its sting when cooked and can be eaten as greens to provide the 3 miligrams of boron which the USDA and docotrs prescribe to arthritic peoples. Stinging Nettle contains roughly 47 parts per million boron. That would only equate to about a 100-gram serving.

Pineapple - contains Bromelain, an anti-inflammatory enzyme. Delicious when taken internally. Aromatic when applied topically.

Ginger - Contains chemical compounds closely related to the curcumin in Tumeric, an herb reported to have anti-inflammatory powers as effective as cortisone.  (Pregnant women should not take large amounts of Ginger!)

Tumeric - contains curcumin, an anti-inflammatory. Used primarily as a seasoning or tenderizer. Can be used topically or internal.

Payapa - Contains the anti-inflammatory papain enzyme. Eat him!

Oregano - a wonderful plant containing a powerfull antioxidant, Rosmarinic acid, which is also found in...

Rosemary - contains Rosmarinic acid, an anti-inflammatory antioxidant. Used primarily as a seasoning or tenderizer. Can be used topically or internal.

Lemon balm - contains Rosmarinic acid, an anti-inflammatory antioxidant. Makes a delicious tea or compress for burns or sores.

Sage - contains Rosmarinic acid, an anti-inflammatory antioxidant. Great for foods or teas. Good House blessing : burn to get stagnant energy moving.

Marjoram - contains Rosmarinic acid, an anti-inflammatory antioxidant.

Brazil nuts - contains S-adenosyl-methionine, a chemical known to have pain-relieving and anti-inflammartory proprerties similar to ibuprofen.

Sunflower seeds - contains S-adenosyl-methionine, a chemical known to have pain-relieving and anti-inflammartory proprerties similar to ibuprofen.

Hot pepper - interferes with bodily pain reception, except for on the toungue, and contains capsaicin which triggers the bodies release of endorphins (natural pain relievers). Red pepper, rosemary, tumeric, arnica, and calendula, left for 8 or so hours in olive oil, makes a wonderful pain-relieving, anti-inflammatory massage oil.

Makini
Makini

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »

Hello Wezekana,

Anti-inflammation medication is definitely good, but remember you want something permanent. I have half these things in my diet all the time and they probably made my knee problem less severe or pain full or reduced the inflammation that was there. At the end of the day, your body part is damaged and needs rebuilding, it needs replenishment like how your house cracks with an earthquake, you can scrap off/dust away the bits but then you have to fill back the gaps. Recommending some herbs/food for such would be greatly appreciated for that.

-M-
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: