Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 71 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Rastafari (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  A "Dreaded" question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: A "Dreaded" question  (Read 67757 times)
Kingston

RastafariSpeaks .com

« on: June 16, 2003, 01:14:39 PM »

Does the truest Rasta heart belong to a Man whom has decided to wear dreadlocks?

Let Us skip the discussion about those who wear dreadlocks for fashion.

At first thought I would say no, yet upon further reasoning with a youth I aquaint with I may feel that it is so.

Naturally I am not questioning any Rasta who has a true heart and does not wear dreadlocks for there are many of Us but I look at it like this.

A true Rasta wearing locks can be likend to Jesus walking with the cross in the sense that He has chosen to walk his life with this cross,  dreadlocks, upon His back.

I say this for it is the truest statement a Rasta can make.  The dreadlock is the universal indicator of the Rastaman.

A dreadlocked man shuts many of Babylon's doors for Him.  He is forced to live more independently because of this choice.

I leave this topic open as it stands.

Jah's humble servant,

..Kingston..

..Understanding Truth and My Place in it..
Kingston

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 10:00:20 AM »

I, for one, believed this topic would raise some interesting questions and new topics of discussion.

Jah's humble servant,

..Kingstion..

..Understanding Truth and My Place in it..
John_Pancakes

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 07:54:49 AM »

The early Rasta did not wear dreadlocks. Leonard Howell never had dreadlocks. The early Rastas were harassed because they became "beardsmen," growing out there beards to mimic Haile Selassie. Dreadlocks were a later addition to the movement. I don't believe locks have much to do with Rasta.
Ayinde
Ayinde

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 08:39:08 AM »

Rasta from the ancient point of view meant wisdom. So when our ancestors said they wish to enter the house of Rasta, they were speaking in relation to that exalted spiritual state where one attains wisdom.  

The word Rasta in relation to dreadlocks is derived from the natural way people lived especially in ancient times when they deliberately returned to the forest to recapture the laws of nature. In so doing they were isolated and without grooming so the dreadlocks developed naturally. This is quite similar to when people get lost on some deserted island and are forced to survive on their own. Sometimes these people learn to embrace nature and develop the natural skills to survive in the wild. Of course, their hair becomes wild or dreaded because they are away from grooming.

In Eithopia, the word Ras evolved to mean head and since leaders then were considered to be divine then Ras Tafari was seen as another divine leader.

In essence Rasta is about developing oneself towards self-actualization, which is the only way to attain universal wisdom.

One can do many things to symbolize that they are different. I choose to simply do my best.
Ras_Joe

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 09:50:13 AM »

Appreci-love that response.

Jah Bless Brother Ayinde
ROOTSWOMAN

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 06:48:23 PM »

Greetings,

Excellent reasonings brothah Ayinde.  I completely agree.  

We know that there Nubian Locks were worn by the Mau Mau revolutionaries.  They did not wear this Traditional Afrikan style because they were "rasta".  His Imperial Majesty didn't have them either.  Nor did Empress Menen.  What about the Saddhu (Holy Men of India) who have always traditionally worn them, not having anything to do with Ras Tafari (though the SPIRITUAL reasons are the same as Rasta).

There are plenty of WOLVES in sheepclothing wearing dreadlocks.  Plenty of hippies with them too.  Nothing whatsoever to do with Rasta.

The "locks" one wears upon their SPIRITUAL CROWN and HEART mean alot more then the hairdo.   Though they ARE our Spiritual Antennas, they are NOT SO for everyone.

ONE AFRIKAN LOVE

ROOTS

SANKOFA!
natty_dread

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 11:29:38 AM »

If not dread in hair dread in heart

To make eveything come true we have to be together through the spirit of the most high emperor haile selassie I
Ark I

Jah live forIver

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 01:38:08 PM »

Greetings,

The way I and I live and think determines if we are trodding with Jah.  So if a man or woman live by the direction of Jah but doesn't carry dreadlocks, Jah will accept him.  But if a man or woman live contrary to Jah's direction, but carries dreadlocks, Jah will reject them. I and I righteous livity is the only thing that is necessary for Jah.

One thing I feel about dreadlocks, is that when a person accepts the way Jah has created them, they must where their locks.  Because this is how Jah designed I and I to be, and I and I should appreciLove Jah creation.

So I encourage all to accept theirselves and grow Jah locks. But I say that it is a requirement to live in Jah way.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I
JahIseek

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2003, 06:33:43 AM »

Bless-ed Love to all I's.

I know that only JAH RAS TAFARI is judge so I dont judge no mon or wombmon.  However, I have taken a vow to separate I self from the rest.  To align I self with JAH, the nazarite vow (in I humble opinion) states to let the locks of I hair grow... to not even shave or cut A CORNER of it!  I NAH SHAVE NOTHIN Iyah!
But to each his own.   I keep in mind that, yes, while some Ras only had beards - IandI must remember all ah DE ORIGINAL IYAHBINGHI who had to wear them locks in tams and nevah show dem for fear of having DEM HEAD CHOP OFF!
The STRUGGLE to have dem locks IS DEEP.  It is an HONOR and PRIVILEGE to maintain I crown of GLORY and I give humble THANKS TO THE MOST HIGH... SELAH!

Bless-ed Love to all Is and Give thanks for the reasoning.

Jahseekah
Rootsie

Rootsie.com

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 10:37:10 AM »

It is far greater struggle to BE Rasta than merely to represent it on the outside.
JahIseek

RastafariSpeaks .com

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2003, 10:39:31 AM »

ITES!

I agree ...  nuff wolves in sheeps clothing...

I chose to carry I locks... that is for I.. it may not be for others.. I no judge...

Give thanks for the reasonings.

Bless!

Jahseekah
QuasiFem

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 03:19:08 PM »

You don't afi dread 'fi be Rasta.
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 06:51:18 PM »

just last friday (good friday for the christians) i was in mobay at a gathering of rastafari bredrin and sistren to commemorate the 43rd annivaersary of the Coral Gardens Massacre...

in 1963 police from the coral gardens police station in st james, jamaica, went into a rasta village and slaughtered rastafari because some dreadlocks man stabbed a woman, and she died. many innocent rastas were killed...just because they were rastas and had locks. hearing the testimonies of those who survived paints the most horrid of images.

there was a time when rastas used to be locked up for having locks and uncombed beards. rastas used to have their locks cut in the streets with broken glass soda bottles as a sign of disrespect for rastafari, and to make rastas an example to all those wishing to become rastas. rastas have suffered for dreadlocks. the incients have fought for dreadlocks, they have fought for herbs, they have fought and suffered for rastafari to be where it is today. and now in this iwa, we have this:

"u don't haffi dread fi bi rasta"

fyah bun man...rastafari suffer suh ini can wear dreadlocks wid pride today. today we have sisterlocks and all sorts of fashions surrounding dreads, but there was a time when some of the same ppl wearing locks now were looking down on rastas and their locked hair. and now RASTAS want to come and say that dreadlocks aren't important within the trod of rastafari? ARE U INSANE? so the incients were beaten, jailed and killed for naught. it's so funny beacuse an elder mentioned this same thing on friday at the same gathering...rastamen grooming their beards and being ashamed of what he called the "buggie buggie"...the knotted hair that comes form not grooming ur beard. "too much pretty rastas" he said. rastas don't trim, rastas don't shave and rastas don't groom their hair, that is the trod. there are 2 things within rastafari in which their are no compromise...

1. HAILE SELASSIE IS THE ALMIGHTY ONE
2. RASTAS  DO NOT TRIM, SHAVE NOR GROOM THEIR HAIR

that is the trod of rastafari. ini as rastafari suffer too much for now in this iwa a 1's to come and say, i'm a rasta but i don't grow my hair because my parents or friends will shun me, i won't be able to get a job in babylon, it's to hard for me to handle, it doesn't look cute, or whatever other reason ppl use. now, u don't have to be rasta to be black conscious or pan-afrikan or vegetarian or all the other things within rastafari, but to be rasta u MUST recognise haile selassie as the almighty one, and u must let ur hair be. and i know there are many ppl with locks who are not rastafari, but all in time. the time shall come again when wearing locks won't be a cool thing to do, and possibly make u a target...then we shall separate the lions and lionesses from the sheep.

as jah cure said...who is gonna fight the fight..

love and blessings...haile selassie lives

History has shown that it is the inaction of those who could’ve acted; the indifference of those who should’ve known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 07:06:32 PM »

saying u don't have to dread to be rasta is like saying u don't have to praise jesus to be christian, or u dont have to accept the qu'ran to be muslim...

rastafari have locks...no compromise

it's not what makes u rasta, but as a rasta u must have it. reading the qu'ran doesn't make u muslim, but as a muslim u should read it. seeing jesus as a diety does not make u christian, but as a christian u must praise jesus.

History has shown that it is the inaction of those who could’ve acted; the indifference of those who should’ve known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I
gnata

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 12:27:42 PM »

I like rastafarism because it is a black religion , ...but my concern is about the christian book ( The Bible ) to worship the Rasta God ?  Why the Bible ? There is a lot of AFricans spirituals worships , why Rastafarism does'nt take one of these african God ( Orisha for instence ) to pray , instead of taking the God of the Bible ?

Because the holly book of Rasta is the Bible , i'am thinking that Rastas are in other way Christians .
We as Blacks have a great History , if we really want a religion who look like us , we just have to pick up one of the plenty spirituals worships from the Mother land and that's it ! Using the Bible and thinking this book have on influence on us as Rasta is a big mistake ( it's my personnal view ! ) .

I'am African , and my religion is from Africa , i don't need to read the so called Holly bible or Quaran to worship my God , My actual God is perhaps the ancient God of one of my jamaďcan Brother who is now a Rasta !
Whites sworn on the Bible before comming to put us in slavery , i can trust people who read that book now !
Let back to Africa spiritually !
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: