Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:32:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 59 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Young Adults
| | |-+  a white girl with dreadlocks..? comments on that?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: a white girl with dreadlocks..? comments on that?  (Read 135371 times)
melaninmagic

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 01:04:24 PM »

Citizen,

Can you highlight for me ONE SINGLE culture that has not moved foward as a culture without reflecting on its past achievements and its OWN history SEPERATELY AND WITHOUT THE OUTSIDE INTERFERENCE OR INFLUENCES of other foreign cultures?

I suspect that you will have a hard time doing this because as far as I am concerned, there isn't one. However if you think differently please let me know, as it will certainly give some most needed credibility to your concerns.

As far as cultures forming their own separate identities go, the whole of Asia did it, the Jews do it on a daily basis, Arabs do it, and Europeans have done it. Why is it that you and most other Europeans are of the opinion that Africans do not deserve this same courtesy? Is it just because technically, Africa is your Mother? ANY culture that does not recapture its history on it's own without someone else inputting their opinions or offering their unwanted and unnecessary 'assistance' is a DOOMED culture.

Why is it that at the slightest suspicion that the African Peoples are trying to rebuild their identity, EUROPEANS ESPECIALLY start making a fuss claiming that Africans are being anti-social and separatist? Then they go ahead sticking themselves in the middle of things claiming that they have just as much right to be here as anyone else. (this damn 'white privilege' is a real bitch, yo! for real!) Considering that it was YOU and YOUR ancestors that had Africa and her peoples in bondage for 500 years, don't you find this attitude on your part and on the part of most other Europeans at the very least, a little bit strange or at all selfish? Seriously, now!

I'd REALLY like to hear your comments on this.

Haven't you realized by now that out of the multitude of varing cultures that populate this planet, ONLY Europeans (Africas' previous conquerers) cry foul when they see that Africans just want to be left alone to rebuild themselves? Again, do you not find this a bit strange? Why is it so hard for you to just leave us be? Just because we generally don't say anything to you doesn't mean we don't want to enjoy the convenience of our solitude... have some consideration, for god's sake!

In so many ways Europeans remind me of a pre-adolescent child that starts throwing tantrums anytime their mother barely steps out of ear-shot, just because it can't continue nursing off of it's mother's milk.

It is high time that you Europeans grow the hell up and release your death grip on Africa and the African peoples, because if you do not, YOU WILL KILL US. Then you wonder why we would ever think you arn't commiting genocide on us. Go figure!

...and NO! It is most certainly NOT in your place to tell us that we are just 'seeing' things either. Only who feels it knows it!
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 01:23:59 PM »

equality and fairness has nothing to do with "let's all get together, jesus love" ... it has to do with letting go of what is not urs, being satisfied with what is, and having a sincere desire to see each person live out their identitiy as THEY see fit, without you (as an outsider) coming in to dictate and rearrange and "suggest" and whatever else the "good and just white people" do.

let black ppl live man...fix up ur own damn house! how can u go cleaning ur neighbours house when ur house if full of dirt and grime ...galang a yuh yaad and lef mi rasta!

History has shown that it is the inaction of those who could’ve acted; the indifference of those who should’ve known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

I am the living incarnation of my ancestors

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 04:51:12 PM »

Greetings.

I understand the poing that many are trying to make about inclusion and pride. Therefore why not share certain things.
Question.
If you have a beautiful wife would you let another man/anyone or anything slept with her? Could/should/would, you really critize a man for wanting to protect his wife?
citizen

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 12:07:01 PM »

to melaninmgic

i want you to know that i respect you alot, for your passion and yes i actually agree with many of you assertions, although i find them to be somewhat the extreme of my own opinions.

that said, i fully agree that no people can grow without roots. it is important that each person has cultural identity. it is simply my feeling that no one, not europeans, africans, hispanics, asians, etc should hold so much to that culture that they cruely and forcefully exclude others. i understand that you want more than peace, that you want justice, but i'm afraid that justice can only be achieved by acting justly, evaluating each person justly.

i am relating this to both your veiw of europeans as a group and of me personally.

for the record if i were to acknowledge africa as my "mother", which i do, as it is the irrefutable motherland of all people, i think you would consider that me trying to encroach upon a culture to which i am not entitled.

we as a world of differnt cultures should stop and look occasionally. in a cosmic scheme, the only difference between us is a chemical. the culture is something that we created. why them should we not share our own creation.
Brendan

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 08:02:05 PM »

Iīm writing in a hurry, correct my mistakes if I make any..
Iīm a 16-year old girl and Iīm white. I would love to have dreadlocks, but to me it only means hair that is easy to "use" and itīs so natural, I travel around a lot and I wouldnīt need to wash my hair so often and it would always look nice and I wouldīt have to worry about it.. so to me itīs only hair. I know the history and everything, I know that it means a lot to most people and now Iīm afraid that I might be accused of ripping off black culture.. which is NOT my intention. and it got me thinking should I, or should I not? I know that no one  
who is white and has dreads means to offend or insult anyone, so whatīs the deal? should I be afraid of getting beaten up the next time I go to america or england? or am I exaggerating?

Its your hair do what you want with it and listen to no one else the first time I tried a "black hairstyle" I thought Ii would be ridiculed becasue I am white and sure I got some odd looks on the bus but in the long run most people liked it and if anyone tried to gimme trouble with it I said are you trying to tell me that I cannot have something ddue to the colour of my skin and that usually worked.(I belive that everyone has a right to everything including which ever hairstyle they want)
Brendan

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 08:11:56 PM »

what is the attraction for some caucasians o rastafarianism?

before i begin, i would like to stress that no benevolent idealogyis a club. this is not a contest of who is more suppressed and white people are certainly not trying to deprive anyone of their culture. of course i can;'t speak for everyone, but here are my reasons.

1. rasta is the only system of beliefs that emphasizes, above all, love. even Chritianity, which makes that claim, is more concerned with other aspects of morality.

2. although rasta started as an african movement, its message of unity is one that we can all learn from. i agree, there is a gap between the races, but militancy willl only perpetuate it. any white rasta is inloved because he or she desires total unity.

3. the pan-african movement is actually one of growing interest. with world events starting to focus on africa, many more young people are becoming interested in its rich culture. i myself hope to live and work there someday for the benefit of whatever country will have me

well said but the main reason I am interested in rastafari is that it believes that all people are equal and we are not black race white race or brown race or blue race or orange race but human race.
Azania 7

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 04:18:31 PM »

any human being is entitled to allow the hair to lock natural...
But y are people so determined to hold locks as a "black peoples style":
locks have been in existance for much time and have been linked especially to the spiritual, think Samson, even Yesua Christ (the previous are mentioned with no intention to argue about their race, only to highlight divinity). If one looks at Hinduism, even there the locks are a symbol of spirituality (Hindu god Shiva)

The message here is that colour is of no importance and shouldnt determine nature or connection with the Most High. But then again if one isn't grow locks 4 spiritual reasons, no crime is being commited there either.

...Nothing dreadful about my locks... Smiley

"...we are not anti-anybody.We are pro-Africa..." Robert Sobukwe
Ben

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 08:33:35 AM »

As you say dreadlock arent fixed to a culture, celtic warriors had em so if your scottish like me you are sorted Wink.

Why should we not be able to celebrate everybodys culture. celebrating your culture with someone of a different one i think is realy nice reminds us we are all just human not black or white or watever just people.
luvthemessage

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 03:14:18 AM »

Iīm writing in a hurry, correct my mistakes if I make any..
Iīm a 16-year old girl and Iīm white. I would love to have dreadlocks, but to me it only means hair that is easy to "use" and itīs so natural, I travel around a lot and I wouldnīt need to wash my hair so often and it would always look nice and I wouldīt have to worry about it.. so to me itīs only hair. I know the history and everything, I know that it means a lot to most people and now Iīm afraid that I might be accused of ripping off black culture.. which is NOT my intention. and it got me thinking should I, or should I not? I know that no one  
who is white and has dreads means to offend or insult anyone, so whatīs the deal? should I be afraid of getting beaten up the next time I go to america or england? or am I exaggerating?

I don't have locks, but I know people who do and I know a little bit. First off, locks do have to be washed, getting locks will not be an excuse not to wash your hair, it would still be in your  best interest to keep them clean. Others besides black where locks both presently and historically, so I wouldn't say you were necesarily ripping off the black culture. When I think of ripping off the black culture I think of exploiting us or our culture in some way and this doesnt really seem like exploitation to me. Unfortunately there may very well be some black people who see it differently. They may feel like your ripping off the black culture, but I think that attention is a consequence of wearing locks for any person of any race. Even blacks sometimes get a negative response from wearing locks because they are such a strong and powerful statement for who you are. However, I feel that we are slowly becoming desensitized to the affect, the power, the statement of locks because so many people are wearing them and not really knowing what they represent and history, particularly here in the U.S. They really mean something, but with the influx of hip-hop rap artist wearing them, it is becoming more of a fashion trend than a statement. I doubt though, that you will have to fear for your life over your locks, you may get some crazy looks (I myself sometimes do a double take seeing non-Africans with locks), but I don't think you will be in any physical danger. Though it is nice to have others opinions and it can help to give you insight, DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT. Locks are a huge responsibilty, and you should be sure that's what you want to do, but do it for YOU!! They will be on YOUR head Smiley
Makini
Makini

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 04:01:48 AM »

Hmm, that message was sent 2 and a half years ago...and she never hurriedly replied.

Poetic Princess to this, what you had in mind, I'm interested.

'If you need any links on how to go about locking you hair il be willing to help you.Much Blessings'

-M-
IrishRastaman

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 07:30:25 AM »

Hey Makini,

I'm 17 from dublin and have recently switched to the rastafarian religon ....anyways i'm looking to start growing dreads and would love some help...my hair is still short but i just wanted to know what u think or any1 on here thinks.....if i could get some help that would be much appreciated
Boogieman

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 08:03:36 AM »

IrishRastaman
I would think you should read some more on Rastafar I, about racism ,white privilege, white supremacy. Educate your mind and free it. Before saying that you a Rasta. Locks can only grow naturally. No help in that.
"Switched to the rastafarian religion". Switched from what? It's not underwear brand that you can switch with one swoop.
Most High. 

Babylon will fall
IrishRastaman

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 08:10:11 AM »

See living in Ireland it's hard to get information on this sort of stuff any ideas of how to help
IrishRastaman

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 11:45:14 AM »

Can some one put up some link so i can get more info into the Rasta way of life
Makini
Makini

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 08:42:40 PM »

Padnazz, I have mi on stories to handle here. I say its good to float. Follow the vibe. Is good that at 17 you are searching. I think I must have started some directed search for something last year. I am 22 now.

I don't have ras. I have no inclination to be Rastafari, I don't read up on it, but I like what Ras Marcus defined a rastafari as 'A Rastafari person is a Black Power person who stands up for the rights of African people everywhere.'  I wear my hair as cork screw or in plaits or sometimes out like Diana Ross(of all people, but you get me). And the one 'lock' I had just left to be for 3 months a fren was cane-rowing my hair and say 'eww what is that, I combing this out' and that was that. I think I can find some site online relating to locking your hair, but Poetic Princess offered, so I bit. And I asked casually not to grow my own hair but to twist my dad's hair for him and help him in his personal choice, not a choice of mine.

All I can say as Boogieman said is read, read, read. And there is so very much to read right here, so it sounds kind of silly for you to ask that when all around in the series of connected sites here there is so much to read. Well interaction is good and discussions too, because you can learn a lot from people, they have a lot to offer whether they are welcoming or offensive. But having people feed you information is not so wise and is not so good for you. Perhaps you will see what I mean in a nice lesson.

And 'Can some one put up some link so I can...' that makes you sound more like 7. And I would if I had a nice link in mind deliberately ignore you as I suspect many may be doing now.

-M-
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: