Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:35:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 113 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Young Adults
| | |-+  a white girl with dreadlocks..? comments on that?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: a white girl with dreadlocks..? comments on that?  (Read 135416 times)
its_only_me

Roots

« on: January 06, 2005, 03:59:11 PM »

I´m writing in a hurry, correct my mistakes if I make any..
I´m a 16-year old girl and I´m white. I would love to have dreadlocks, but to me it only means hair that is easy to "use" and it´s so natural, I travel around a lot and I wouldn´t need to wash my hair so often and it would always look nice and I would´t have to worry about it.. so to me it´s only hair. I know the history and everything, I know that it means a lot to most people and now I´m afraid that I might be accused of ripping off black culture.. which is NOT my intention. and it got me thinking should I, or should I not? I know that no one  
who is white and has dreads means to offend or insult anyone, so what´s the deal? should I be afraid of getting beaten up the next time I go to america or england? or am I exaggerating?
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 06:49:29 PM »

Blessings and Greetings its_only_me

Firstly one must say slow down, one can tell by your words you were really in a rush anywayz i catch your drift now onto answering you,
Then secondly one must say you dont have to get an "ok'' from a rastafarian community or even the site to locks your hair it should be your own choice one you know the facts and reasons behind you wanting to locks your hair and you being both physically and mentally able to handle the trials n tribualations that come with a white person have dreadlocks.

My dear firstly i can see you only want dreadlocks as a hairstyle am i right?
Having dreads and taking care of them properly does not mean you dont have to wash them because dreads should always be kept clean,fresh and smell nice.That is a very old myth that dreadlocks dont have to be washed as often as regular hair.
If you want dreadlocks so bad then why are you afraid of what people will say about you,If your intentions are good then by all means it is up to you to do it.But you do have one strong and good point Dreadlocks are the last strong hold our black african people has as our heritage and culture and truth be told you will get some snares and snickers because it would seems as if you're trying to rob us of everything,we and our ancestors have been rob of so much that many may even scorn you because you choose to wear dreadlocks.
I dont believe anyone would beat you up when you go to America and England but you must be prepared to get strange looks and stares from some black people.Others may not even notice or even say anything because to some dreadlocks has become such a popular hairstyle it may go unnoticed.

If you need any links on how to go about locking you hair il be willing to help you.Much Blessings

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
Africanprince

AfricaSpeaks.co m

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 09:00:49 PM »

Get the dreads if you feel thats the best for ya.  
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 10:11:50 AM »

I don't have much to add to Poetic_Princess's statement, but here's a lil 2 cents, coming from someone who has often poked fun at "honky dreads":
If your hair naturally locks up when you stop combing it, then you are naturally supposed to have what would be called "dreadlocks" although they will probably look different from African locks.
If your hair doesn't naturally lock up, then you shouldn't do anything to it, to make it lock up. That's artificial, and trying to be an imitator.
Ain't no one gone beat you up. Not physically anyway.
gman

AfricaSpeaks

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 10:17:05 AM »

One thing I have noticed, is that most of the white people who associate with Rastafari, who I have any respect for, tend not to have "dreadlocks". They don't speak pseudo-patois either, unless they happened to grow up where patois/creolese/whatever is spoken.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you are clear on the reasons why you are doing it, and on who you are. By even asking those questions, that shows you have thought about it more than the average "trustafarian" with "dreads" and a Bob Marley sticker next to the Jerry Garcia sticker on his/her van. Just live your life honestly from the heart and never imitate or perpetrate, no one respects an imitator. But you seem to be a respectable person as much as I could tell from one post.
Welcome to the boards.
iNk

Roots n Ites

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 03:57:48 AM »

I know a lot of good people who overstand Rasta only because of their dreadlocks. So do it. And maybe you will get answers. =)

InI think u overstand dat my english is not good )
Rastafari everywhere!
Zion.i.bless

Roots

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 03:37:27 AM »

Blessings and Greetings its_only_me

Dreadlocks are the last strong hold our black african people has as our heritage and culture and truth be told you will get some snares and snickers because it would seems as if you're trying to rob us of everything

to I Bredren Locksin is like Antenna to pick up vibes.
But...
how is one white yout' Locksin' Up robbin' InI ancestors.

JAH is always dere zeen... JAH is Truth & JAH is InI Foundation.

None in Babylon can Box GOD & Conquer.

I see BLACK Dreads who aren't Rasta & I nah care. Dem have dey own beliefs. why would I care if I see a white dread who Nah Rasta.

I used to Blaze fiya pon dreads if dey nah Rasta... But Why? All I can do is tell dem da Roots of Locks & What It Mean to wear dem.

Longer i Trod JAH-ROAD i See Rasta Has no Shape or Form.
It Exists Itinually ForIver.

Blessed
Poetic_Princess

I am nothing with out my soul

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 09:12:29 PM »

Blessings Brethren Zion.i.bless,

Hotep.

Brethren if you read my whole statement to her you would have overstand that I would just explaining to her what some ppl may think and say I wasn't giving that as my opionon i was giving the sistren advice, and if you read her post she herself said she knew it is a strong hold to black people so you must read it over again brethren and carefully.

Hotep Brethren

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
SoundbwoyLouie

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 05:05:32 AM »

If U Like Dreads, let it grow. I see Rasta with dreads and i see rasta without dreads. To be rasta is not a hairstyle!!! to be rasta comes from heart, comes from mind and soul. no matter if u black or white, u are a human, like all of us.
dont think to much
sistren
life in peace
natural blacks

Blackheart Man

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 11:41:34 AM »

Rasta have dem locks man...bun out bald head rasta and dem idea deh...a try water down rastafari.

Selassie I

History has shown that it is the inaction of those who could’ve acted; the indifference of those who should’ve known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most that has made it possible for evil to triumph. - EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I
afrikanrebel06

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 12:26:19 PM »

Roll Eyes  why are people entertaining the krakkkazoids,alliesn,the reptilians,dont understand,now i understand the diff between the one luv,flower power rastas, from true garveyites! flower power and one luv type will be embracing white rastas and  pan africanists and true garveytes will be dropping da machette on the one luv,flower power white rastas and one luv type all alike Angry
  Grin time to clean up da house!
melaninmagic

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 09:57:41 PM »

Greetings all,

This question goes out to all those in this forum who classify themselves as white (i.e. direct decendents of other Europeans) with respect to all those who have been classified as non-white (i.e. members of the African Diaspora):

Precisely what is your attraction to the rastafarian and consequentially, to the Pan African movement? Can you please elaborate on your motives? (preferably in point form).

Thank you.
citizen

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 12:54:02 AM »

what is the attraction for some caucasians o rastafarianism?

before i begin, i would like to stress that no benevolent idealogyis a club. this is not a contest of who is more suppressed and white people are certainly not trying to deprive anyone of their culture. of course i can;'t speak for everyone, but here are my reasons.

1. rasta is the only system of beliefs that emphasizes, above all, love. even Chritianity, which makes that claim, is more concerned with other aspects of morality.

2. although rasta started as an african movement, its message of unity is one that we can all learn from. i agree, there is a gap between the races, but militancy willl only perpetuate it. any white rasta is inloved because he or she desires total unity.

3. the pan-african movement is actually one of growing interest. with world events starting to focus on africa, many more young people are becoming interested in its rich culture. i myself hope to live and work there someday for the benefit of whatever country will have me
ooggooles
AfricaSpeaks Member

I am the living incarnation of my ancestors

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 05:02:14 PM »

Greetings. These are some questions and comments to Its_Only_Me and everyone else. Can some one who eats meat say that he is a vegaterian? Can someone who worships the Devil claim to be a fellower of God. Can a blackman that bleaches his skin claim to be proud to be black? If a man tek ah sex change is he a fool? If you give respect do you get respect? Why do som many people want to be what they are not?

The fact that you stated that "am I going to get beat up in America or England," would lead me to conclude that you already have some prejudicial beliefs about black people or at the very least peoples perception of dreads. What are you true intentions I do not know. What I know is when a Rastaman Grow him locks he doesn't ask question of acceptance. It is an inate, inborn devine conception of the sort that is a holy intervention upon the soul of a blackman.

citizen

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 11:26:56 AM »

why do people who say they want equality and fairness forcus on being seprate? having pride in identity and being unique is one thing, but exclusion of others in this is counterproductive.

but i do feel strongly that one should only try to be what one is, never what others desire. (ie i don't support being a poser)

saying that someone is trying to be something they're not seems not to take into account that a person is not just a body from one family or another, but an individual mind. if your heart is with something, far be it for you to let your appearance stop you from becoming who you really are

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: