Rasta TimesCHAT ROOMArticles/ArchiveRaceAndHistory RootsWomen Trinicenter
Africa Speaks.com Africa Speaks HomepageAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.comAfrica Speaks.com
InteractiveLeslie VibesAyanna RootsRas TyehimbaTriniView.comGeneral Forums
Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25910 Posts in 9966 Topics by 982 Members Latest Member: - Ferguson Most online today: 85 (July 03, 2005, 06:25:30 PM)
+  Africa Speaks Reasoning Forum
|-+  SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, RELIGION
| |-+  Spirituality (Moderators: Tyehimba, leslie)
| | |-+  IS THERE A DEVIL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: IS THERE A DEVIL  (Read 34987 times)
OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 08:52:55 AM »

MuddyRivers, you're completely wrong. Afrikan spirituals do not believe in the Devil. Period.

There is NO Devil.

When we have the determination to restrain our lower desires, the door is opened for us to fulfill our highest aspirations.
MuddyRivers

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 11:34:39 PM »

OlOrisa_Olurun,

This is why I say that it has to be an semantics argument. If I see those of ATR who believe that 'evil spirits' are bothering them and have various things and ceremonies to get rid of 'evil spirits'. Those 'evil spirits' are not the 'devil' per se, as we believe it?

OlOrisa_Olokun

Orisa Priest in Training

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 11:48:07 PM »

OlOrisa_Olurun,

This is why I say that it has to be an semantics argument. If I see those of ATR who believe that 'evil spirits' are bothering them and have various things and ceremonies to get rid of 'evil spirits'. Those 'evil spirits' are not the 'devil' per se, as we believe it?

no "evil spirits" as you call (but understand that's YOUR language, not ours) are not the same as the devil. they are SPECIFIC categories of energy, spirits - some totally composed of spirit,some formerly human that have not spiritual evolved or exist to test the spiritual resolve of humans. they are not cast outs of "Heaven", they have no conflicted relationship with God nor Man, they do not seek a day when they will reign over Earth, they do not nor will they ever rule Earth. They are simply one part of Yin and Yang, Hot & Cold, Up and Down, Expansion and Contraction, Black and White, Light and Dark - evil exists purely to provide a background for spiritual conditioning. Afrikans say "we wouldnt know a good day, unless there was a bad one."

Do not, I repeat -do not -seek to draw similiarities between traditional Afrikan spirituality and christianity - there are almost none. Even our definition of success, good, ethical, and right/wrong is different. Afrikan spirituality is a science. Christianity is a dogma. They are opposites, not kindred ideas.

This is not an issue of semantics. There is NO Devil. In the Orisa tradition we expressly teach this idea to one another. There is NO Devil. No singular or chief engineer of Evil. No Lucifer. Etc.

Remember you are in the INDIGENOUS spirituality forum. Mainstream religious philosophy is discussed elsewhere.

When we have the determination to restrain our lower desires, the door is opened for us to fulfill our highest aspirations.
MuddyRivers

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 07:27:40 AM »

OlOrisa_Olokun,

Thank you. Evil Spirits are the not the Devil, in the language of indigenous religions or religionists?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: